There are two projects which have supported the establishement of the Estonian Association for Environmental Management: BALTEMA and Eco Forum Baltica.
The project “Unternehmensverband für Umweltbewusstes Management für die Baltischen Länder” (BALTEMA) started in 2002 and ends in 2005. The project is financed by the Deutsche Bundesstiftung Umwelt (DBU). The project partner of International Network for Environmental Management (INEM) is Estonian Institute for Sustainable Development (SEI-Tallinn), who is responsible in organising environmental management activities in Estonia.
The main activities of the project are:
- Establishing and consolidation of the Estonian Association for Environmental Management
- Launching the environmental management web page
- Publication of bulletins, handbooks and guidebooks on environmental management methods (eco-mapping, Environmental Performance Evaluation, etc)
- Trainings and pilot projects on environmental management (ISO 14001 and EMAS environmental management system, eco-mapping, EPE, etc)
Eco Forum Baltica
In 2003 continues the project Eco Forum Baltica in cooperation with Stockholm County Administration, NUTEK, Swedish Association of Environmental Managers (NMC), Swedish Trade Council and with several partners from Sweden, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland.
The Eco Forum Baltica main objectives are:
- Help companies in the Baltic region lessen their negative effects on the environment and improve their competitiveness trough the use of environmental management systems (EMS) EMAS/ISO 14001.
- Increase cooperation between authorities and organisations around the Baltic Sea, exchange experiences and improve the infrastructure for supporting the EMAS/EMS development and spatial planning.
- Support cooperation in cleaner technology in companies in the participating countries.
- Create national networks for environmental managers in the participating countries in cooperation with NMC and INEM.